Sunday, March 7, 2010

Austin Texas, Saturday 3-6 and Sunday Morning 3-7 (updated)

Still on our detour away from Route 66, we headed out of Hot Springs for Austin Texas. Breakfast at the Waffle House in Hope Arkansas (home of Bill Clinton) should have been as wonderful as they always are but this visit was disappointing...I'll give'em another shot though, love this place! Trivia, I actually researched getting a Waffle House in Traverse several years ago, they have yet to commit to Michigan anywhere...oh well.

Getting into the Northern side of Texas gives a blogging traveler little to talk about so you can imagine my excitement as we came across Carl's Corner Texas, otherwise known as Willie's Place. Willie Nelson apparently saved this truck stop from going backrupt (how fitting) years ago, and made it his own. One can get Willie's biodiesel, lunch/dinner, beverages in the Whiskey River Saloon, stickers, cds, coffee cups, whiskey (could have been a stayover but it was to early to drink)....everything but the bobble head I wanted. Toured, took a few photos and jumped back on the road...



We arrived downtown Austin about six o'clock. With a passion for live music, I've always wanted to experience the city of Austin. Every genre mixes here, tex-mex, country, blues, rock, jazz...you get it all.

Having recently become a fan of Brandi Carlile's music I knew she was in town Saturday night but read online it was sold out. We hit the box office upon arrival and found out some seats were added and still available. The box office lady asked "is the front row to close"..so...one hour before showtime, we stroll into town and get front row seats to what had to be the hottest ticket in town this night.

Folks let me tell you, we could have been in the back row and this would have been spectacular. This was the kind of experience that makes people stand on a box and preach...and so I will. Buy her music now. Don't let the bubble gumish name and looks fool you, all talent here.

The show was at a Texas University performance hall at the university, so everything down here was what you'd find in any large college town, we needed something quick and good, a swift iphone search lead us to Madam Mam's Noodle House. I don't remember what we has but it was cheap, big and very_very good. My best meal up to this point. Two of us in and out for less than 20 bucks to boot!

We stayed in a chain hotel outside of town, everything in town was booked. Sunday morning we headed back downtown to view the Stevie Ray Vaughn memorial on the Riverwalk. One of the reasons I always knew I had to visit the city. I've been a huge fan for years and the witness of one SRV show in Ann Arbor with Jeff Wiltse in 1987. The day Stevie passed in 1990 was the only time I recall crying in front of a CNN newscast, I remember everything about the moment. So, this visit has been a long time coming.


Afterwords we searched the phone again for a breakfast place nearby, came up empty, at least that we could agree on. Mari then recalled a guest at Blu suggesting the chicken fried steak at Threadgills in Austin, it was right around the corner, so we headed over. As I pulled in I noticed the "Gospel Brunch" sign, I quickly checked our luck meter, it was topped out at 10.

Now; we like gospel and we I like brunch...wrap this up with a good chicken fried steak and I couldn't wait to get in the door. I asked for a table in the room the band was playing, it's a huge place. Waited at the bar with bloody mary's for a few minutes and was seated where else but the front row again. The band was incredible, how could 10 guys playing/singing gospel in TEXAS on a Sunday morning not be? The food was OK, we both had the chicken fried steaks with various sides including stewed okra, fried okra, mashed potatoes and collard greens. Dessert was a buttermilk pie that along with everything else had me looking for a sofa to nap on.



Austin treated us well. Great music, food and culture...thank you!


rc

No comments:

Post a Comment